Monday 23 January 2012

What's On Netflix Instant 2

Okay, I know this one has been a long time comin', but hey don't get too worked up with me about it. I'M JUST ONE MAN. No, no, I'm sorry, this is MY fault, not yours. I'm sorry baby, I haven't been as good to you as I know I should be. Can you forgive me? Please? Awww that's right, you know I love you. You know I only want you to get Netflix Instant recommendations from me, not from any of those OTHER blogs...they don't care about you like I care about you. What's that, sugar pop? Of course I like what you're wearing, you look fantastic. No, I always like what you're wearing. Well I didn't say anything because I didn't know it was new! I didn't know it was new beacause you have a whole closet full of fucking clothes! Look, if this is how you're going to be then you SHOULDN'T be surprised when I drink a six pack on the train ride home from work EVERY NIGHT. Oh GOD don't cry!

Here are some recommendations.

The Vicious Kind (2009) - Lee Toland Krieger

The Vicious Kind tells the story of a family of asshole during a Thanksgiving Break. Peter (Alex Frost) is taking his new college girlfriend (Brittany Snow) home with him for Thanksgiving. They get a ride from his older brother Caleb (played by Adam Scott, who was the reason I watched this movie, and also why the movie is awesome, and holy fucking shit I LOVE ADAM SCOTT). Caleb is a complete asshole. He thinks he's better than everyone else, and feels cheated by life that that the world has not acknowledged his obvious superiority, and is instead a construction worker who talks about architecture and states simply, "I build homes." He won't speak with their father (the wonderful J.K. Simmons, who is also a complete asshole, but in a different way), chain smokes, drinks too much, and has insomnia.

Caleb wants to protect his younger brother Peter (who is the least asshole-y of the family, and therefore the most unrealized character) from possible heartbreak from his new girlfriend, but ends up becoming infatuated with her himself. It's a pretty fearless movie. It says things and has characters act in ways that are sometimes shocking and extremely mean-spirited. But it's funny. And it's well written and smart enough for it to never seem too mean beyond redemption. I really dug this movie. Eeeeeehhh, quick sidenote the end actually kinda flounders a bit and is lame. It's the one part of the movie where the writer/director stops being fearless in exchange for a more conventional ending. It is a shame to see him end it like that, but it's still a really good flick and worth your time and ADAM SCOTT!!!!


The League (2009 - ) - Jeff Shaffer, Jackie Marcus Shaffer

The League is a comedic television series about a group of friends who play Fantasy Football. BARF. I hate football--well, all sports really, but football is definitely one of them. And the only thing I hate more that football is FANTASY football. So months ago when Netflix isntant told me I would like The League I told it, not even in a joking tone, to fuck itself. Then about 8 months later I was suuuuuuper hung over and didn't know what to watch. I was reminded that Mark Duplass is one of the stars of the League, and I really like Mark Duplass. I decided to watch it. Holy shit. I love The League. It's really just a comedy about friends hanging out and dealing with every day life of work, relationships, kids (original I know). Let me preface and say that I could not find many great Youtube links for the show. Just trust me and watch a few episodes.


Oh and it's Chicago based. Not too shabby.


Southland Tales (2006) - Richard Kelly

I can't possibly put it off any longer; it was only a matter of time before I mention this movie in my blog. I have to strongly recommend Southland Tales to EVERYBODY IN THE WORLD. If you know me (and for that I am truly sorry) there is a good chance you've heard me talk about Richard Kelly's bizarre amalgamation of a film. It is a religious allegory, a political satire, an action film, totally sci-fi, a slapstick comedy (it has several MadTV and SNL actors in it because why not), and even has some musical numbers. After his success with Donnie Darko, I must imagine some studio execs were like, "alright Richard, ya did good with that Rabbit movie, so we're gonna give you 17 million dollars (actual budget) to do whatever you want." And I imagine little Richard Kelly shot his load right there in his pants. He had all these ideas for a movie, his true opus, and must have decided "fuck it! I'm gonna MAKE ALL OF THEM!"

And he did.


It stars Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson, Sean William Scott, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Justin Timberlake, Mandi Moore, Holmes Osbourne, Amy Poehler, Cheri Oteri, John Lovits, Shawn Wallace, Kevin Smith, and Will Sasso. That might not seem like a great cast to you. You might be wrong (except Kevin Smith cuz fuck that guy).

(I also realized through making this blog that both Southland Tales and The Vicious Kind are available in full on Youtube. So if you don't have Instant you can still watch both these gems!)

No comments:

Post a Comment